Scripture Verse

"Be joyful in hope, patient in tribulation and faithful in prayer." Romans 12:12



Friday, February 11, 2011

Lifter of My Head

"But You, O Lord, are a shield for me. My glory and the One who lifts up my head. I cried to the Lord with my voice and He heard me from His holy hill." Psalm 3:3-4

This has been one of my favorite verses for a while now, one I go to on the days that I don't think I am going to make it. I have had well over a week's worth of those days lately. Last Thursday I went to the doctor with what I thought was going to be a pressure sore and as it turned out I have shingles for the second time. A couple of days later I also came down with a very severe UTI (urinary tract infection) - all the while still juggling the endless supply of seizures that come my way. I have been in so much pain that it has been hard for me to sit up for long periods of time. Needless to say, I have not had an easy time over the past week.

So, as I have done for some time now I have gone to my verse in Psalm 3. It is such a comfort to know that God is the lifter of my head. No matter the situation, whether it is sickness, despair, weariness or discouragement; the Mighty God of the Universe will lift up our heads in times when we cannot lift them ourselves. I don't know about you but this gives me great hope. There are so many days that I can't see beyond my own circumstances (I'm sure you have been there too) and how amazing it is to know that the Lord will gently lift my head. When my head is lifted, I can see Him!

That is just where my eyes need and should be all the time - gazing upon my God who loves me so much and is my portion, especially on the days that are dark and dripping with despair. As Joni Eareckson Tada says,"Heartache forces us to embrace God out of desperate, urgent need. God is never closer than when your heart is aching." I absolutely love that and praise God for all of the hurt that has drawn me straight into His Arms.

A am still feeling pretty crummy and have a way to go before I am 100% but in the meantime, as I heal, I will continue to come to the Father again and again so that He can lift my head and remind me of His goodness. And wherever you may be today, I urge you to allow the Lord God to be the lifter of your head as well so that you may see His power, majesty and glory - in this dark world in which we live, there is nothing that compares.

Rejoicing in Hope,
Roxanne

No comments:

Post a Comment