Scripture Verse

"Be joyful in hope, patient in tribulation and faithful in prayer." Romans 12:12



Friday, February 25, 2011

Count It All Joy

Last week someone told me that I needed revelation knowledge on God's healing power and that Jesus died so I would not have to suffer - all I need to do is just reach out and take the healing. This is not the first time I have been told things like this, 43 years of disability and physical suffering have brought about many comments like this. I know that there are many well meaning people who believe we have the right to be totally healed and problem free, if you have been following my blog for anytime at all you know that I disagree. I disagree on the basis of God's Word and not my own opinion - that is what I want to share here today.

It saddens me to know that some Christians have twisted God's Word and have fallen victim to the lies of Satan on the issue of hardship and suffering in our lives. Many people spend so much of their lives running from the hurt that can draw them closer to the Lord, instead of embracing it and allowing the power of God to work through them and the painful circumstances in ways only God can. The Word of God is very clear on the subject of trials in our lives.

"In this world, you will have tribulations..." John 16:33

Jesus was crystal clear when He spoke these words so long ago. It is not, if, but when we go through tribulations. We live in a fallen world where sin runs rampant and hard times exist due to the sin that was brought to us in the Garden by Adam and Eve. Because of that sin, we will never be trouble free until we see Jesus face to face in Heaven. Again, it is not if, it is when.

"But after you have suffered a while, the Lord will perfect, establish, strengthen and settle you." 1 Peter 5:10

"When you pass through the waters, I will be with you. And through the rivers, they shall not over flow you. When you walk through the fire, you shall not be burned, nor shall the flame scorch you." Isaiah 43:2

You will also find that some are of the mindset that it is not God's will for anyone to suffer physically - that is just not the case and Scripture again proves that point of view incorrect. We are to seek after God's will and not our own in ALL areas of our life - it is not about what is pleasing to us but rather what brings the Father glory. As Christ-followers, it is our responsibility to follow the Lord and not try and lead - again it is about His will.


"The Truth is, it's not about you. It's not about me. It's all about Him. The Truth may not change your circumstances - at least not here and now- but it will change you."- Nancy Leigh DeMoss

There is often pain, and discomfort in the things God allows but we must remember that there is always purpose and God never wastes anything He does - it is for our good and His glory. The Bible is quick to point out that instead of pushing our suffering away, we are to look for God's plan and allow our responses to the pain reflect Jesus.

"My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing." James 1:2-4

I am more concerned with my response to my circumstances than I am getting them out of my life. I pray every day that I will react with joy, grace and in the strength of Almighty God. I know that nothing happens in my life- or in yours- that is not first filtered through His hand - I will rely on Him more because I know He knows best. Life is not about getting my own way or doing what I think is best. God has allowed the suffering in my life for a very specific reason - I don't understand it all but, I will not push it away trying to lean on myself or have what I think is best - I am not God, I am His servant and I will trust Him more through the hard times He has allowed. In doing so, I know that the pain can never compare to what He is teaching me every day.

"Therefore we do not lose heart. Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day. For our light affliction is but for a moment and is working for us a far more exceeding weight of glory, while we do not look at the things which are seen but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary and the things which are not seen are eternal." 1 Cor. 4:16-18

I don't know about you but I would much rather have my eyes focused on eternal things than the fading, passing things that this world has to offer. I know in my own battle with suffering, the Lord has taught me more about trusting Him, being joyful in hope, being filled with His Spirit - especially in the darkest of times, you can't learn these truths if times are always good. After all, if things were always going our way, why would we need God at all? The truth is we need to be desperate for Him, we need to lean on Him with all we have - knowing we can never do it alone.

"My flesh and heart fail but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalm 73:26

One final word, it is like pouring salt into an already open and sore wound of someone who is hurting to hear things, like the comments shared with me last week. Even though it may come with the best of intentions, be diligent to choose your words carefully. Be sensitive, compassionate and loving. Your words and my words always matter and once they are spoken, we will never have the opportunity to take them back.

I have said this many times but I will say it again today. I would rather have 100 seizures a day, be confined to my wheelchair for the rest of my life and knowing my God, than healthy, seizure free and on my feet without Him. I would not trade the truths that God has taught me in the fire for anything this world has to offer.

Rejoicing in Hope,
Roxanne


" Jesus said, My grace is sufficient for you. My strength is made perfect in weakness. Therefore most gladly I would rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ's sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong." 2 Cor 12:9-10

"And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; and perseverance, character, and character, hope." Romans 5:3-4

No comments:

Post a Comment