Scripture Verse

"Be joyful in hope, patient in tribulation and faithful in prayer." Romans 12:12



Friday, April 1, 2011

Times Like These

Last Sunday I had the opportunity to spend some time with my family. It was a heartbreaking experience that I would give anything to change. My Uncle Billy, he is my daddy's brother, has been in the fight of his life for some time now. He is battling oral cancer. He is now under hospice care and declining very quickly.

As I have mentioned before, I come from a very close-knit Italian family and there is just no other way to say it, we are broken -hearted. He has been fighting long and hard and to be quite honest, we are a little shocked. As of just a couple of months ago we really thought there was hope and the doctor's had even been optimistic. It amazes me how fast things change.

It has not even been a year since Maw-Maw passed away and here we are again. My heart just bleeds for my Aunt Marie and my cousins, Gina and Leanne. I cannot imagine the hurt they are going through.

Over the past week I have thought a lot about how life just seems to chew you up and spit you out sometimes - that is how my family is feeling at this moment. Life is hard. I have asked the Lord many times this week to help me to understand. Of course, I know that some things are just too big for our little minds to grasp - this is definitely one of those things.

I have been missing Maw-Maw more and more through all of this - I know hurt just magnifies grief and that is what I am feeling right now. As I am writing this, hot tears are streaming down my face onto the keyboard - tears over the loss i feel for Maw-Maw and the hurt my precious family is enduring over Uncle Billy.

However, although my heart is breaking for my family, I choose to trust my God. I know He has a plan and purpose for all things - even those that hurt the most. I will praise Him and exalt His Name and remember He is holding my family in the palm of His Hand and I know if we let Him, He will work mightily through the hurt we are all feeling.

Life is so very hard but God is always so very good. Trusting Him all the more, in times like these.

Rejoicing in Hope,
Roxanne

"The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit." Psalm 34:18

3 comments:

  1. Roxanne as I have said before, you are a very talented writer. You have a heart of compassion for all people. I am proud that you are my daughter & friend!!
    I love you,
    Mama

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what a struggle the losses and inevitable losses can be, but you handle it with grace that I know comes from the Lord.

    I lost both my grandmothers within 7 months of each other. It is so hard, but I am so thankful to know they are rejoicing with our Savior now!

    I truly am touched when I read your blog. I know you are reaching more people than either of us can guess through this media and God is blessing you and others by your writing.

    Love you,
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found this link from Cole's Foundation...I am praying for Stephen and the MANY that love him. Also I read your most recent post and am praying for your Uncle Billy....truly a heartbreaking time for your entire family. Many many prayers for you all....Melissa

    ReplyDelete