Scripture Verse

"Be joyful in hope, patient in tribulation and faithful in prayer." Romans 12:12



Wednesday, January 27, 2010

A Servant's Heart

I have not said that much about my wonderful husband since I started this blog so, I thought today would be a great day to talk about my Stephen.

He is my best friend, soul mate and my very own Prince Charming. It seems like we have been together forever and the more I know about this incredible man, the more I love him.

Over the years, he has had to step into some roles that we never would have anticipated. It has become harder and harder for me to do the things I did so long ago and he has had to come and take my place in those things.

He does all of the washing, the dishes and driving for our family - just to name a few. I have never heard that man complain in 20 years. He absolutely amazes me on a minute by minute basis. His ability to serve our family in such a Christ focused way, even on the days I know he is just about out of steam, always brings me to my knees. And I always think to myself, "Would I be able to do this like him if the tables were turned?" I just don't know, I would like to think so, but the truth is I just don't know...

He has allowed the God that he loves so much to strengthen him every day to that he can serve his family with his whole heart. And I know it has not been easy, to say the least.

For almost the last year he has not only ran his own business but he has had to take on a second job as our family (like many others) has been dealing with financial upheaval in ways we thought were long behind us. I have seen him, over this time, look almost dead on his feet. My heart breaks because I am so limited in ways to help him. But we remain strong in the Lord, knowing He alone will provide for us in all things.

Through it all Stephen always has a smile on his face and is ready to help anyone and everyone who is in need - never thinking of himself.

One of the areas that is difficult for me is having to use the "little girls" room in the middle of the night. I have to have help and of course cannot go alone so, I must wake up my sleeping husband, who may have only been in bed a short while himself. It tares at my heart to do this but, going to the bathroom is just one of those things that will not change - it is true, when you have to go, you have to go.
Every time we have to have this "outing" in the middle of the night, I am greeted with the same words. "It's all right, honey. Whatever you need, I am glad to help you in any way I can." Quite a guy, my husband and one day I would love to be more like him.

I think we can all learn from Stephen in the area of service - I know I have a long way to go but, I am learning. God's Word is very clear on the subject...

"Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself. Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others." Philippians 2:3-4

I know it will be my great joy to try and emulate my precious husband as he lives out God's Word in serving each day. I pray as we all go through our lives we will strive to be others centered.

Rejoicing in Hope,
Roxanne

**** A Special Thank You**** I am so very blessed and thankful for all of my readers. Some of you I know as wonderful friends and I love you and thank you for your support of this new area of ministry in which God is leading me. Those of you whom I do not know, I have to say you are also such a treasure to me. Thank you for the sweet comments - I read them all and love them! Thanks for blessing me in untold ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment